Views: 138846 Favorites: 119Add

Webcams

WebCam 1
Mid-mountain 4:30am Snow Stake
Copper Mountain Resort Webcam
Webcam 2
Super Bee
Copper Mountain Resort Webcam

Location Information

City
Copper Mountain
State
Colorado
Country
United States
Copper Mountain Resort Copper Mountain Resort Hot
How much snow are the computers forecasting?
Short Range Forecast Discussion

->This free forecast is brought to you courtesy of Aspen-Snowmass Resort<-
Short Range Forecast Discussion - Updated for Tuesday, October 21, 2014 - Today and Wednesday a weakening Gulf of Alaska low pressure system moves into mainly the northern and brushing the central Rocky Mountains (including Aspen, CO) with increased showers, cooler temperatures, and accumulating snowfall above mainly 10,000 feet as it passes through. By Thursday and Friday we clear out with drier air and mostly sunny skies as a strong high pressure ridge builds in across the southwest US. This should be a good time to hike with no thunderstorms, and mostly sunny skies + warmer temperatures. Saturday continues mild, with gusty winds as high pressure weakens due to strong low pressure pushing in across the entire northwest US, and then into the central Rocky Mountains on Sunday. On Sunday we could see a shot of snow across Colorado, and base to top for Aspen as temperatures may really drop, the coldest yet. CM

Do you want to keep track of the US and southwest Canada snowpack? Check here >.
12,313 ft
9,712 ft
2,610 ft
2.8mi
RESORT INFO ↑35° ↓29° ↑51° ↓29°
  • Last Update 13 Oct @ 10:10
  • Snow Past 24 Hours 0 in
  • Snow Past 48 Hours 0 in
  • Season Total 0 in
  • Average Base Depth 0 in
Comments
None Reported
Today's Snow Potential
1 to 2 inches of snowfall above 10,500 feet
What's Open?
  • Trails0 of 143
  • Lifts0 of 23
  • Acreage0 of 2465 (0%)
Other Info
  • Additional ReportsNone
21 Tuesday ↑35° ↓29° ↑51° ↓29°
Sky Condition
Partly to mostly cloudy becoming mostly cloudy and cooler with scattered showers and thunderstorms developing during the day and through overnight. Winds are expected to increase, mainly up top.
Precipitation
40% chance for showers (base/ in town), 60% chance for showers (upper mountain)
Snow Potential
1 to 2 inches of snowfall above 10,500 feet
Wind
Base; Variable at 4-12mph, becoming SW at 5 to 15 gusts to 20mph. Above timberline; SW at 15 to 25 gusts to 35mph. Wind gusts to 45mph are possible in/ near any thunderstorm.
22 Wednesday ↑31° ↓24° ↑48° ↓30°
Sky Condition
Mostly cloudy and cooler with scattered showers and isolated thunderstorms. Snow levels run near 9,000 feet (morning), rising to 10,000 feet (late day). Showers become isolated and end in the evening.
Precipitation
50% chance for showers (morning), 20% chance (late day)
Snow Potential
A trace to 1 inch of snow above 9,000 feet
Wind
Base; Variable at 4-12mph, becoming SW/ NW at 5 to 15mph. Above timberline; SW/ NW at 10 to 20 gusts to 30mph. Wind gusts to 40mph are possible in/ near any thunderstorm.
23 Thursday ↑35° ↓24° ↑52° ↓21°
Sky Condition
Clearing to partly cloudy, drier and milder after a chilly morning.
Precipitation
None expected
Snow Potential
None expected
Wind
Base; Variable at 4-12mph, becoming W/ NW at 5 to 15 gusts to 20mph. Above timberline; NW at 15 to 25 gusts to 35mph.
24 Friday ↑43° ↓31° ↑60° ↓23°
Sky Condition
Mostly clear, drier and warmer with less wind.
Precipitation
None expected
Snow Potential
None expected
Wind
Base; Variable at 4-12mph, becoming SW at 5 to 15mph. Above timberline; SW at 10 to 20 gusts to 30mph.
25 Saturday ↑44° ↓30° ↑61° ↓35°
Sky Condition
Becoming partly cloudy and relatively warm with increasing winds (approaching storm).
Precipitation
None expected
Snow Potential
None expected
Wind
Base; SW at 5-15mph, becoming SW at 10 to 20 gusts to 30mph. Above timberline; SW at 20 to 35 gusts to 50mph.
26 Sunday ↑45°  7c° ↓23°  -5c° MID MTN
Sky Condition
Partly cloudy with a chance for wintry mix
Precipitation
Isolated Wintry Mix (Potential precip: 0.01in, 0.23mm)
Snow Potential
None Expected
Wind
From the WSW at 17 to 23 MPH.
Long Range Forecast Discussion:

7 day to 2 week+ forecast (since 1998) - 26 October to 05 November, 2014 - Early next week (27-28th) more low pressure moves in across the northwest US (resort snowfall for WA/ OR/ ID/ MT), while high pressure (mostly sunny and milder weather) builds across Utah/ Colorado (incl. Aspen, CO) and the southwest US. By mid and late next week (29-31 Oct) a strong and cold storm (strongest/ coldest yet) moves into the northwest US south to Lake Tahoe and Mammoth, with snow spreading across the resorts of the northwest US (ID/ WA/ OR) and Tahoe mid week, then east to Montana/ Wyoming/ Utah and Colorado the 30th and through Halloween (Halloween snowfall potential for Aspen-Snowmass). Dry weather is expected across the southwest US including southern California. <-- This is still on track. Storms should become more frequent with less sunny weather overall (of course this is seasonal) after a brief break the first 1-3 days of November (high pressure overhead and mostly sunny, milder the first 1 - 3 days of Nov for Aspen-Snowmass), with more resort elevation snowfalls expected north of a line from Tahoe to Colorado moving in afterward. CM

Longer Range Outlook

As of now, October 2014, we are still on a path to see an El Nino Sea Surface Temperature pattern hold across the Equatorial Eastern Pacific. Sea Surface Temperature Anomalies yield a weak El Nino pattern across the eastern Equatorial Pacific (El Nino development is on track, but it will be weak at least to start, still favorable for California and the desert Southwest, plus much of Colorado and northern New Mexico). Please note; Many computer models indicate the El Nino SST pattern may become moderate strength later this fall and early 2015, with would help focus more of the Gulf of Alaska storm action across the southwest US and California, where its desperately needed.

Current SST pattern- El Nino

A weak El Nino is now being predicted for this fall and winter, into early 2015. It looks like the early season (October/ November) will see more rain and snow for southern and central California, Arizona, New Mexico, Utah and Colorado. This should help kick off the early season for places like Mammoth Mountain. This should also help build up a better than average base of snow for Aspen-Snowmass and Taos Ski Valley. Temperatures are expected to be near and below average for these areas as well, which helps. Maybe Thanksgiving will be pretty good for many more areas across the southwest, and even for Squaw Valley in Tahoe. The Northwest US is expecting a drier and milder than usual fall, with less snowfall than average, though with their usual heavy snowfall, especially in the Cascades, this drier/ milder than average fall season could still be good for resorts across the northwest US, mainly along the Cascades, less so inland.

Current SST pattern- El Nino

The larger time-scale SST pattern in place right now is still a cool phase PDO, or negative PDO (Pacific Decadal Oscillation). This is a more long term pattern (decades), and it has made any recent years El Nino SST patterns weaker (it looks like this is the case with the current El Nino, which was expected to be strong initially.

To summarize, the possibility of an El Nino pattern this fall and winter are "likely". Forecasts from other agencies are calling for El Nino conditions to hold this fall and winter. This would favor the southwest US (including southern California and across to Taos Ski Valley, even Aspen, Colorado) for heavier rain and snow this fall and mainly winter (2014-2015), after the wet monsoon summer across the southwest US (we forecast this in the spring). Northwest US areas, and southwest Canada, along with northern Colorado through Wyoming and the northern Rocky Mountains, should expect a drier than average, or near average snowfall winter (2014-2015). Tahoe/ Mammoth should see near average snowfall

Copper Mountain is just 75 miles from Denver with 2,450 acres of skiable terrain and a village that feels more like a neighborhood. It's clear why Copper is the #1 choice of so many Colorado skiers and riders. Naturally divided for all abilities, it offers steep terrain to the east, gentle slopes to the west, intermediate terrain through the middle and some of the best bowl skiing in the state. Three recently completed base villages have quickly redefined the Copper experience. A new kids-only base lodge — The Schoolhouse — has transformed the Union Creek base area, as have Copper Springs Lodge and the Copper Station base lodge in the East Village. And, completed last season, The New Village at Copper is alive and well, offering a Copper experience like never before. Five new buildings possessing a variety of lodging opportunities, restaurants, bars and shops now sit at the base of the mountain.

Map

Swap Start/End